Friday, October 30, 2009

Book memories meme

The following meme comes from Kirsty at Other Stories

The book that’s been on your shelves the longest.

As with most people this will be a children's book probably one of my Dean Reward Classics like The Folk of the Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton.


A book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time).

Frederica by Georgette Heyer. When I was thirteen my mum passed me a copy and said, "I think you'll enjoy this." And I did! I have read and re-read all Heyer's works. They are great stress-busters. They are also a wonderful prelude to Jane Austen. I am sure I 'got' Austen more quickly in my teens because I had read so much Heyer. The moment when my mother passed me Frederica is also a reminder of how reading is a kind of club. When you share a literary habit with someone it is a real bond.

A book you acquired in some interesting way.

My habits of acquisition are very boring. I have not found books belonging to an author under the sofa like Kirsty did, though I have sold books back to their authors on more than one occasion, not unlike the old J R Hartley advert for Yellow Pages.

The book that’s been with you to the most places.

I was going to suggest another one of my childhood books but, thinking about it, my childhood books probably stayed in the family home when I was away at university, so the one that has been with me most is probably an early adult acquisition from my late teens, either Letters to Alice on First Reading Jane Austen by Fay Weldon or the Gone to Earth by Mary Webb.


Your current read, your last read and the book you’ll read next.

My last read was Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie. I am re-reading a lot of Christie at the moment, in the order in which she wrote them. My current read is Arthur and George by Julian Barnes and my next read will probably be another Agatha Christie, The Man in the Brown Suit.

If you have a go at this meme on your own blog please leave me a message in the comments, or if you don't blog please feel free to do this meme yourself in the comments below.

6 comments:

Jodie Robson said...

This meme was just what I needed today. I loved Georgette Heyer for years, you are so right about her stress-buster qualities. Agatha Christie is pretty good for the same reason, I think.

Jodie Robson said...

Oops, sorry, I meant to leave a link, to say my answers are here: http://geraniumcatsbookshelf.blogspot.com/2009/11/book-memories-meme.html

Juxtabook said...

I've been and had a read GeraniumCat - thank you for the link. I also liked your review of the Dandy Gilver.

Jane Badger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane Badger said...

I completely agree about Georgette Heyer! Brilliant stress busters. My meme is here

Juxtabook said...

I enjoyed reading your meme Jane but your link goes back to the ibooknet blog. For those interested Jane's meme is on Books Mud and Compost http://booksandmud.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails